Wilton
Home of the Randolph Family
William Randolph III
William Randolph III

Situated on a bluff overlooking the James River, Wilton is an impressive example of Colonial American architecture and a superb essay in Georgian design. Built circa 1753 by William Randolph III, a member of one of Colonial Virginia's most powerful and influential families, Wilton was the centerpiece of a 2,000 acre plantation and home to the Randolphs for more than a century. It was here that they entertained George Washington and their cousin, Thomas Jefferson. The Marquis de Lafayette, with more than 900 of his troops, made Wilton his headquarters for more than two weeks during 1781, shortly before the decisive victory at Yorktown.

Threatened with demolition at its current site during the Great Depression, the house was purchased and carefully moved seven miles upriver to its current site by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in 1933. Opened to the public in 1952, Wilton today features a superb collection of 18th and early 19th century furnishings, textiles, ceramics, silver and other artifacts that tell the story of life on a Virginia plantation during the era of the Revolution and the Early American Republic.

Gallery
215 South Wilton Road
Richmond, VA 23226
804-282-5936
FacebookTwitterTripAdvisor
Map & Directions
From:
To:
Trail Map
News
The Founders
About